Tuesday, June 11, 2013

DuBois Middle School has Flipped


The DuBois Middle School Has Flipped
Written by: Valerie Hayes


With the integration of Common Core Standards into PA Academic Anchors and Algebra I Eligible Content now being officially tested through Keystone Exams, more and more is expected to be taught during the same 180 day school year. As an 8th grade math teacher teaching both curriculums sometimes to the same class, I started to feel overwhelmed. Then, I was granted the opportunity to attend a Flipped Learning Conference in Washington, DC to learn how to “Flip” my classroom.

A Flipped Classroom, as developed by Aaron Sams and Jonathan Bergmann, takes direct instruction that is normally given in class and sends it home as "homework" using videos, interactives and manipulatives through the internet so that main practice of skills, extension of concepts, and challenging thinking can happen within the classroom aided by the teacher. The old model used to be introducing the concept in class, sending the student home frustrated, unsure and often times not proficient with a concept or skill.  Now students come to my classroom ready to master what they were introduced to at home with the help of their peers and me every inch of the way in class.

I have seen many advantages flipping my classes.  (1) The largest advantage is the amount of differentiation it provides the students.  They can now pause, rewind or watch lessons multiple times, which is impossible to do during a traditional in-class lecture.  I have seen significant improvement amongst my struggling algebra students through reduced failures and better testing results. (2) Another advantage is the opportunity for students to not fall behind due to absences.  Many times I have a student out for vacation, sick or sports.  These students take the initiative to go online, access and watch the lessons, complete the few practice problems and as a result are able to not fall behind the pace of the class.  (3) The most obvious change when you walk into my room is now the students are engaged in true mathematical discourse, practicing skills, and problem solving with each other and me.  The traditional class model leaves little time for this, as most of the time is spent introducing the topic rather than mastering. 

Finally, what does one of my flipped lessons look like?  I use my school website to create my online class.  A lesson on simplifying radical expressions, for example, has the objective(s) stated, a paragraph introducing the concept in student friendly language, link to video lesson and three practice problems.  The three problems help the student begin to synthesize what they’ve learned to be more prepared for discourse and practice in class.  Each online lesson is 8-12 minutes in length.  Sams and Bergmann suggest 1-1.5 minutes per grade level. I simply teach the information through the ShowMe app.  The students want to watch the video and learn the information – they don’t want fluff.  As Sams and Bergmann say, don’t use technology for the sake of using technology.  If you aren’t able to make your own video, though it’s been found students prefer their teacher’s voice, there are many to choose from through sources like Youtube, KhanAcademy, and TedEd. The next day in class, comprises of about 5 minutes of review, 35 minutes of engaging student practice, and 5 minutes of closing review.  My lessons are flipped lessons.  There are also flipped mastery classes, where each student is working at their individual pace.  I have not found a need for this model in my classes yet, as I already have classes leveled based on student performance. As you can see, I’ve flipped over flipping my algebra classes because I’ve seen that they really do help my students learn. 






Contacts:          Valerie Hayes

Julie Baun
                        JBaun@dasd.k12.pa.us

Jessica Stover
                        jstover@dasd.k12.pa.us

                         




No comments:

Post a Comment